Saturday, June 5, 2010

Fermented Pineapple Drink and Oatmeal Muffins

I have a pineapple,  so I googled 'fermented pineapple drink'.  Now, this is what I've found and I think it looks very interesting and summery. 

Fermented Pineapple Drink (Guarapiña o Mavi de Piña)

 
The great thing is, you use the skin of the pineapple which I normally throw away.  The skin can also be used for pineapple vinegar, also known as cortida, which is supposed to be yummy as well.  In fact, this recipe is probably very similar to making vinegar except the addition of sugar and optional spices, the fermentation time would obviously be much shorter for a drink.  I'm going to try this in the next day or two so I'll let you know how it goes!
 
In other news, I've just made a big batch of one of my kids' favorite muffins.  But this time I fooled around with the recipe quite a bit  and did some pre-soaking.  I don't think I've ever done conversions yet involving soaking so I'm quite pleased with the results.  Here's what I did:

The recipe actually says to soak the oats for 10 minutes in buttermilk, so I figured, why not longer?  And why not throw in some oat flour with it?  Of course it says to use all purpose flour, 3 cups to be exact.  So I used half that amount of oat flour, and for the other half of the flour I used half as much coconut flour (so that would be 1 cup) which I mixed with all the dry ingredients for the base.  I followed the rest of the recipe except adding an extra egg to offset the coconut flour a bit, the oat flour also offsets the dryness of coconut flour because it's so moist. 



Here's the recipe which will make 3 dozen, half it if that's too many muffins for your house!

Oatmeal Muffins

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup oat flour
3 cups buttermilk (or soured milk, or equal parts liquid whey and water)

Mix this together in large bowl, cover, and soak for 12-24 hours.

When you're ready to bake the muffins preheat the oven to 375 and  stir the following together in large bowl:

1 cup coconut flour
1 1/4 cup rapadura
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp real salt



Then add 2/3 melted butter and 5 fork beaten eggs to the soaked oat mixture.  Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.  Fill buttered or papered muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes. 



Variations:

mix 2 tbs rapadura and 1 tbs cinnamon together and sprinkle the tops of the muffins

decrease butter to 1/2 cup and add 3 cups grated peeled cooking apples to the egg mixture






My kids approved the recipe changes and I'm limiting muffin intake as I type!  They also LOVE the apple version, though I haven't tried it yet with the new changes.  There's no reason it shouldn't work just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment