Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kombucha Bottled! And Pickles!

Yesterday I bottled my first double batch of kombucha, thanks to the beautiful slimy 'mushrooms' Lydia gave me when we visited her last month.  I'm using 500ml mason jars with plastic lids (just to rule out any problems with metal ) and used 3 different flavors.  Blueberry, apricot, and almond.   I also added a bit of coconut sugar to them (except the apricot) to boost the second ferment and add a touch of sweetness since we're not accustomed to kombucha yet!    I've already stuck my straw into them today for little taste and it's pretty good! 

I can see how it will become somewhat addictive, I'm already thinking about having another taste.  I'm also  drinking beet kvass everyday , 2-3 times per day and am really starting to crave that.  And it's so funny to see Amilia grabbing for the glass and drinking it down!  Will have to get some pictures or video of that for sure.

You can see from the picture that I've got a jar of pickles fermenting as well.  This batch is cucumbers and onions, with pickling spice and garlic and a touch of coconut sugar.  In the future I'll use honey but I'm all out right now.  We cracked open a jar of pickled (lacto-fermented) carrots and peppers last night with my in-laws and they were a big hit. (I put dried dill and fennel seeds along with garlic cloves and celery tops  in that one.)   Wish I could say the same for the beet kvass haha, so far Amilia and I are alone in our enjoyment of that!  



Lydia at Divine Health has written about brewing kombucha as well.  You can also do a search on her site for even more info on it.  A quick google search will provide you with simple instructions for brewing your own (or follow directions in Nourishing Traditions).  And I found another excellent article discussing the history and the many health benefits on drinking kombucha tea, as well as suggestions on how much to drink and other tips.  That site also has much more information available, so be sure to check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Lydia is great, yes? Her e-books are awesome! I have been brewing kombucha for a few months and I am the only one who like it! Too bad for the others! More for me! I have done 2 quarts of beet kvass, but it was kind of nasty directly after the ferment, so it has been in the fridge for nearly 2 weeks. I hear it gets better with age. Let's hope so!!!

    ReplyDelete